Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Talented Husband...

OK--its taken me forever to post this entry b/c I can't figure out how to add his song, but read on and hopefully one of our more computer saavy family members will take pitty on me and help me figure out how to do this...

Last month was our 2nd Anniversary--and Jon gave me a really great gift that I was not expecting.

Jon and I decided last year that we would switch off years planning something fun for our anniversary. This year it was Jon's turn. Things have been a little tight for us lately, so I asked him a few days in advance if he was planning on spending any money-to which he said, "not much". So, I took this to mean that I should prepare something inexpensive and sentimental for him. I made him a cd of songs that remind me of him. I relate my emotions a lot to the music I listen to and I often find myself repeating certain phrases from songs over and over again because I think they are SO us or SO Jon and I love them. So, on my card to him with the cd, I had written all the key phrases that stick out to me and remind me of him in those songs. It's not the most creative gift, but I did it with love. Well, come to find out, my gift was NOTHING compared to his sweet, thoughtful, time-consuming, and talented gift.


He picked me up from work and made me close my eyes all the way home. When we got there, he brought me up to our courtyard and had me open my eyes-he had put white Christmas lights on our house and had a song playing that we just heard and loved on the Twilight soundtrack (I know we're geeks). We danced there in the courtyard to this really romantic song. I just loved this gift. I'm HUGE on surprises-I love them. So, when I saw that he surprised me by putting up Christmas lights and dancing with me to that song, I was really touched. When the song ended, he asked me if I liked it--I said, "YES! I love the lights and that song from Twilight, and dancing-you know how much that means to me!" he said, "but, you really liked the song?" I said, "yeah, I love that song." he said, "you know I did that right?" shocked. what??


He had learned all three guitar parts, vocals and drums and asked his friend to record and mix him playing/singing it. That was HIM that we had been dancing to! I was shocked and touched all over again. It sounded awesome. I started bawling. I've always known Jon was talented in many ways and been proud of him for that. But, it's just so neat to have a great recording of him and be able to listen to it over and over again.

Jon, thank you for being such a wonderfully thoughtful best friend and husband. You always go above and beyond to help me feel loved and appreciated. You give the greatest surprises and presents. I don't know what I'd do without you. Thanks again.

To everybody else--have a listen to his rendition of Iron and Wine's "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when do we get to hear the cd. You know I left mine over at your house or somewhere--maybe it was Amy's.

Laura said...

I want to hear it!!! Can that be my CHristmas present? Please??? Jon, you are such a romantic... Missy-- you are LUCKY!

Summer said...

I think that is wonderful! I also think Jon is talented enough to put that song on for you. Adam will be there next week... he'll take pitty on you.

Amy said...

Yes, I have been extremely impressed by Jonathan's musical talent. He was definitely the most talented band member at that performance. Thanks for including us. It was fun to see him in a different setting, and of course be with you, too!

Gina Rochelle said...

Well done! I'm jealous, we have many musical people in both our families but Jamie kinda missed that gene :).