Meat:
1-3lb pork loin (substitute 4-5 large boneless skinless chicken breasts if desired)
2 C brown sugar
1 can of CHERRY Coke
½ C water
1 jar of Salsa-the smaller kind (medium heat)
Season w/ Dried Onions, Salt and Pepper
Place ingredients into Crockpot on high for 3-4 hours; ½ hr before taking it out, place on low and shred meat.
Dressing:
1 packet of Ranch Seasoning mix (follow directions on packet for making Ranch)
2 tomatillos
1-2 fresh small green chilies (2 is obviously pretty darn hot)
2 squirts of lime juice
1 clove of garlic
Fresh Cilantro (to taste-I think it’s disgusting if you can actually taste it, but it will give it that green look that you like)
In a blender or food processor blend garlic, tomatillos and chilies; pour in ranch dressing and lime juice; blend together until everything is smooth and creamy.
Rice:
1-2 boxes of Rice a Roni (Mexican Rice)
Follow instructions on packet
Beans:
1-2 cans of black beans
Stir over Med heat
Other Ingredients:
Tortilla chips
Lettuce (I use either Romaine or Spinach)
Put it all together:
I put it in this order because I think this is the order that CafĂ© Rio does—although I don’t think it really matters, it all gets pretty mashed together anyway.
1. Beans
2. Rice
3. Meat (make sure to drizzle a little bit of that sweet juice over the top, but you don’t want to get it too runny)
4. Lettuce
5. Chips (crumbled)
6. Dressing
Optional topping:
Fresh Guacamole:
4 ripe avocados
2 tsp lime/lemon/even orange juice
Raw white onion (chopped) to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
A few shakes of Garlic powder
Blend onion in food processor until smoothe, add avocados, lime juice, salt & pepper and garlic powder. Blend all ingredients together, but not for too long (we like to have chunks of avocado in our guac)
This is probably 4-8 servings (depending on how much you eat/serving). I’ve found that if you cook a pork loin, the meat will last for a few more meals. Meat is also yummy on sandwiches.
Enjoy!!
4 comments:
Thank you for ruining my life by reminding me of the Cafe Rio sweet pork salad. I won't be able to get it out of my head for weeks. We may have to get a slow cooker just to try this. Have you ever attempted to make the limey vinaigrette they have? I could drink that stuff by the gallon.
YUM. THanks Miss, I want to try this.
Jaz, I have on occasion cooked the meat (i've only tried this w/ chucken)in a pan, by boiling it with the other ingredients if I need to do it quickly--it's not quite as ooey-gooey though.
Missy, how come I've never been invited to dinner on a night like this?
Post a Comment