Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reading is Fun

I would not typically classify myself as a great reader like many of my friends/family who commonly ready 3-4 books a month. I've always known that I like to read, but I'm not passionate about it. I'm passionate about Movies. Painting. Eating. Horseback riding. TV Shows. Hiking. I would start a movie club LONG before I would start a book club. Anyway, I'm starting a metamorphasis to becoming a great reader-or at least a reader. I have read, count them nearly 5 books in the last month! Well, I haven't finished five. I've finished three and am in the middle of two. But, wow, I think that's a record for me. Here are the books I have read/am reading and LOVING. I would love to discuss any of these at any time with you.

The Hunger Games Trilogy-FANTASTIC. Thrilling. Well written. Unique, thought provoking political/social themes that are applicable to world today. Romantic. I heart Peeta Mellark. I know, it's a horrible name.

Jane Eyre-SLOW MOVING. Although I think she is a brilliant writer, she is a bit like James Fenimore Cooper, who wrote Last of the Mohicans. It is VERY slow. Very detail oriented. So much so that it's often cumbersome to read. After 1.5 years of bathtime reading, I am finally getting to the part where she goes to work as a governess. I'm hoping it will speed up now.
Eragon-EXCITING. Author really knows how to transport you into another world. I love the connection between Eragon and Saphira his dragon. I love seeing the progression of Eragon from boy to warrior. You really want him to succeed and are all the way on his side. Can't wait to finish and keep reading the series.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Missy, I'm happy you've crossed over into the world of readers. I am not there yet- but I did read a certain series (which I would prefer not to mention the name because of embarrassment and horrible regret) in a rather short period of time-- which was amazing for me.
I remember hearing about your bath time ritual reading Jane Eyre. And am cracking up that after a 1.5 yrs into it, you are at the part where she is a governess.
Jessie loves those Hunger books too, I'm glad you two had something to gush over.
Keep it up! I am so impressed!!

Amy said...

So impressed with you, Missy! Bradley could discuss two of those with you. I, on the other hand could not. Maybe one day I'll read Hunger Games. Everyone keeps raving.

Anne Michaelson said...

Wow, Miss, I'm just good to get through the Ensign. I guess alot of people like the detail that Jane Eyre puts into her books--remember they didn't have all the techno stuff we have now. Hope you're feeling better today.

jessie dryden said...

i cant wait for the hunger games movie :)
theyve already started casting..we should go see it the day it comes out!

Melissa Huber said...

Oh we will! I am totally down for that Jessie.