A long time ago, Heather and I were driving around in her car listening to someone I had never heard of-Simon & Garfunkel. They were everything I didn't like-they were too mellow, too 70's, too hippie for me. But, slowly, Heather's persistence paid off. She introduced me to such classics as, The Sounds of Silence, Kathy's Song and Mrs. Robinson. I started to realize that I like those songs-and not just like them. In fact, I LOVE them. Their soft clear voices, beautiful lyrics and general positivity really resonate with me. I have expanded my love of hippie music to John Denver, Elton John, CCR, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, The Carpenters & Peter, Paul and Mary. So, color me hippie, I guess. Enrich your life, bring back memories (for some of you who are mature enough to remember) and have a listen at these classics:
The Wedding Song, Peter Paul and Mary (I know, he kind of looks like a terrorist in this video, just go with it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKdUpgI-8Kk
Never Going Back Again, Fleetwood Mac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzqik8wUqbY
Kathy's Song, Simon & Garfunkel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q60YKfPKdjQ
Country Roads, John Denver (really pretty video too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49paH8plfY

5 comments:
I LOVE Simon and Garfunkel! My favorites are At the Zoo, Homeward Bound, and I am a Rock. My brother-in-law also turned me into a John Denver nut. I've been note to belt out Country Roads while washing dishes...
Angie! I'm so delighted that you found your way to my virtual home! Country Roads is honestly, one of my favorite songs ever. It just really gets me to my bones for some reason. Also JD's version of Let it Be. If you haven't heard it, Look it up. You'll thank me later.
Yes, your father and I love all those greats and have for 50 years now. Good grief. I don't think we were ever Hippies, however.
Missy, John got me hooked on Cat Stevens. He was raised on Cat Stevens and John Denver. You're right, there is a sweetness in the laid back, gentle way of these songs that you can't find in any other era.
Does this link work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdnhBP2tWY&feature=related
Your tastes are maturing, Miss! Yes, you are right--great music. Glad you're discovering the great stuff.
Post a Comment