Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Anchor

When I get ready in the morning, I often listen to the last general conference on my computer. And yesterday, I chose to listen to a talk by Elder Holland. When I first heard it, it was immediately one of my favorites from this session of conference. And as I listened to it yesterday, I was again reminded of how much our Heavenly Father and Savior love us. They are with us at all times that we want/ask them to be. I was feeling a little lonely and down before I listened to the message. But after, I could not help but feel my Heavenly Father's love for me and peace in knowing that they are always there. They love me despite the fact that I am hopelessly flawed. They love me when/despite the fact that I'm pretty, ugly, skinny or chubby, sometimes mean or unthoughtful, bad at doing laundry, silly, lazy, kind, etc...They just love me. All of me. And even though I often feel alone in my life, I know that I never really am. They are close by-watching and protecting. I am so grateful for that knowledge. It has quite literally saved my life by penetrating through the darkness of despair.
"Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said, “I will not leave you comfortless. [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”" Jeffrey R. Holland 2009

5 comments:

Laura said...

Miss, I completely agree- hands down my favorite talk too. I have never heard such a beautiful description of our Savior's commitment to us.
I hope your feeling a little less lonely since hearing that talk. You have so many who love and adore you (and we don't care if you're pretty, ugly, chubby, skinny, mean, nice, etc. either)

Melissa Huber said...

Thanks, Laura. I know you guys are always there for me too-I love you.

Amy said...

MISSY, I wonder if we were listening to that talk on the same day. I can't remember which day, but I just listened to that again, too. And, that was my very favorite passage! Thanks for sharing. Maybe we should have spent the day together--well maybe not since I've been sick. I think that's why I was feeling lonely. When I get better, let's go to lunch or go running or something, okay?

Anne Michaelson said...

Miss, I loved your thoughts. They were astounding. I hope you know that we all love you no matter what. The main thing is knowing that the Savior loves you no matter what. And that is a gift to know that.

Anne Michaelson said...

Miss, I wanted to comment again on your blog. I am so sorry that you ever feel alone or lonely. Please know that I am as close as a phone call. I felt so blessed to be able to come over on one dreadful, dark night when you called me not so long ago. I will always be here for you. Once again, I love you.