
However, I realize that I will never get over my fear/shyness if I don't take the trouble to practice. So, I have made a goal to speak to one person that I don't know very well each time I attend church, FHE or any other social gathering. And, guess what? I have started to make some new friends! I have a circle of people that I am getting to know there and that I actually feel comfortable with.

I attribute this mostly to the fact that I recently participated in the YSA Singles Conference "So You Think You Can Dance" dance competition w/ our ward. We had practices three times/week for a about a month. So, that gave me the perfect opportunity to get to know some people.
So, I guess that's been my goal for this month-get out of my comfort zone! Challenge myself to reach out to others around me, make friends...
(Visit me on facebook to see a video of the dance-can't figure out how to post it here-sorry.)
3 comments:
Missy, you always have such cool goals. I like that you have challenged yourself to talk with a new person each week at church. I really like that... again, I want to make your goal my goal. Thanks for the inadvertent challenge! I can imagine coming into the singles life again would be intimidating for anyone, so give yourself some credit. I'm proud of you for getting out there and meeting so many new friends... and not to mention hosting get togethers at your house! You're awesome, and anyone is lucky to get to know YOU.
Missy, that is so great. I was just reading over Elder Oak's talk from last conference and he had a quote in there from someone else that I just loved. It said, "Years ago, I changed my attitude about going to church. No longer do I go to church for my sake, but to think of others. I make a point of saying hello to people who sit alone, to welcome visitors,...to volunteer for an assignment...In short, I go to church each week with the intent of being active, not passive, and making a positive difference in people's lives. Consequently, my attendance at Church meetings is so much more enjoyable and fulfilling."
I've always thought of you as this kind of person. You are a natural. I love you.
Ditto on the last two comments. This is strange though. When you were here for Memorial Day cookout, I thought to myself, "Gee, Missy seems kind of shy today." It didn't seem like your normal self. Do you remember feeling shy then?
Post a Comment