Wednesday, April 22, 2009

And then there was...Hawaii

Jolynn and I just returned from our "second honeymoon" as I lovingly call our latest trip to Hawaii together. We went to celebrate her spring break, our birthdays and my sanity. We spent seven wonderful days in a little town on the north shore of Oahu called Laie. This is where the LDS Temple, Polynesian Cultural Center and BYU are located. It boasts other such attractions as McDonalds, Taco Bell, a Chevron gas station, Subway, wild roosters and chickens which roam the streets freely, rugged, green carpeted jungle mountains, beautiful white sandy beaches and crystal clear warm water as far as the eye can see. It is a beautiful place.







We stayed with one of our friend's sister and her husband, their cute family of six kids under the age of 8 and their renter. They were so generous to let us stay in their daughter's bedroom for the whole week! We enjoyed watching those little brown babies play endlessly outside, mostly without shoes, hanging in their tree.

We mostly wanted this trip to be unplanned so that we could really relax and do everything or nothing if we wanted--and that's exactly what we did. A whole lot of napping, reading or listening to our iPods in the beach. We also took the bus into town one day, got mani's and pedi's, visited the International market where we bargained with the cutest little Asian women for jewelry, and walked up and down the touristy parts of Honolulu. The next day, we took the bus up the coast to some really cute little towns with lots of artsy shops and great eats-turned us on to the best breakfast ever-imagine if you will:berry smoothie in a bowl with granola and sliced bananas and honey drizzled over the top. YUMM! Try it, you'll thank me later.
Anyway, it was a great trip--I would highly recommend such a vacation if you'd like to get a lot of R&R, dont' mind looking slightly homeless for the duration due to the fact that it is too humid to do your hair or makeup, and would like to come back looking like an Argentine.



6 comments:

Laura said...

Ahhhhh, I felt like I just went to Hawaii while reading your post.
Missy, you had so much fun! It looks absolutely beautiful there. I feel like the only person on the planet that has never been there (John's parent's even own a place for us to stay if we could ever get there!) I really want to go after seeing your 2nd honeymoon pictures.
You look darling- humidified hair and all, you're still gorgeous! I love the pictures of you on the beach. I'm glad you're back safely. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you had such a wonderful second honeymoon. You and Jo make a beautiful couple. When you two go on your third honemoon, I hope you both have husbands. love, mom

Dave said...

Missy! This looks like so much fun. It would have been fun to have gone at the same time, but then I guess we would have been on different islands. Maybe someday we can take a sister's week in Hawaii to ensure Laura gets there, too! One thing I'd like to know is how you came home bronzed, and the most bronzing I got was while hiking in red dirt, which instantly washed away after my shower.

Dave said...

P.S. this is Amy

JEM said...

That sounds perfect. Although, I don't think I'd come back looking like an Argentine. Maybe a radish.

jake said...

I loved reading that comment as if it were Dave.

In other news... update, up-date up-DATE UP DATE /chanting