Thursday, April 2, 2009

Resolutions-April


Wow, can't believe it's April already. It seems like time is flying by in a blur-which is actually really good. It means things are moving along. It means that I am able to put some distance between me and some of the challenges that I've been facing. It means that I'm moving on.
For my April resolution, I decided to be more Creative. My very first semester of college, I signed up to take a class that I thought would be an "easy A"--Sculpture 101. I thought that we would spend our time working in clay, molding tea cups, vases or at the most, a bust of ourselves. I thought that because I have been more creatively inclined all my life I would be a natural in Sculpture 101. I though that this class would be a breeze. But, as it turned out, I was assigned to a teacher named Curtis Fairman, who was very much like Jack Black in School of Rock in the way that he was extremely passionate about what he was teaching. And I really had to work hard to get the 'B' I earned in that class. The class taught us how to work in all different mediums including paper, wood, metal, plastic, cloth-ANYTHING and everything-to create art that shared a message. This class changed my perception of what Art is-prior to this class I would have said, "art is something beautiful that we like to hang on our walls, or put in a china closet." Through the course of this class, my views were expanded to include both the beautiful and the grotesque-both things that you want to look at and things that you hope you will never see again-as long as it shares a message, it is art.

Curtis Fairman


Everyday of my five years in the UNLV Art Department was interesting, thought provoking, therapeutic and I always left with a greater appreciation for opinion/views of others and a deeper understanding of my own. I have never felt as confident and self-assured as I did then. I have never felt so emotionally healthy as when I was utilizing that creative outlet on a daily basis. So, for my resolution this month, I am going to try to spend at least five minutes a day doing something creative. It might be a five minute sketch, making dinner, setting the table, arranging flowers, color coding/organizing my closet, etc. Whatever it is, I will do it consciously, with the idea of communicating something...here it goes!

7 comments:

Laura said...

COOL MISS! Can I do your resolutions too? You think of them, and I'll do them. I love you. Can't wait to hear all about Hawaii.

Summer, Matt and Beck said...

Hey Melissa,
I stumbled upon your blog, through a network of other blogs (you know how that goes.) I am sorry to hear that your plans are not working out exactly as you thought they would. However, you are extremely smart, talented, wise and beautiful and I know that you will make the best of your new situation. I think that your new resolution is a great one. I too find myself happiest when I am creating, even if it is something small or simple. Tell Jolynn Hi for me. Best of Luck!

Melissa Huber said...

Summer! That's so funny you found this blog-I was just looking at a picture of us from one of our classes the other day...Hope you are doing well!

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea--a resolution for every month. I think I'll do your too--like Laura. I will try to do something creative every day. This morning I vacuumed in a pretty pattern and then I put the clothes in the washer in a special way that looked artistic. mom

Laura said...

PS, Miss.. yesterday we watched Nacho Libre again (the kids wanted to see it) and I laughed and laughed... I just love Jack Black. All the faces he pulls and funny ways he contorts/poses his body.

Amy said...

Missy, this is so fun reading your monthly resolutions. I love what you come up with each time. It always makes me want to improve in a new way when I read what you're doing. Do creative discipline ideas for the kids count? I'm pretty good at those.

JEM said...

I totally agree with this, Miss. I've found that whenever I'm not engaged in something creative in my life I get totally depressed and feel lost. I remember the first time it happened the summer after my freshman year of college, and I couldn't figure out why I felt so bad most of the time. My mom suggested it was a lack of creativity/creation in my life and she was dead on. Ever since I've tried to keep some kind of creative pursuit going. It always makes me feel better.