Friday, December 11, 2009

Run for your life

So, I have to brag a little here. (If you have already heard about this, please exercise patience-I know, I know, you've probably heard about it MORE than once too) Anyway, I have started jogging. Now, if you know me well at all, you will know that exercise has not been a part of my daily regimine for......well, ever-ok? there you made me say it. I have NEVER exercised regularly. But, about a month ago, I tried, just for the heck of it to jog around my block (which is just over .5 miles) Guess what, I could NOT jog the whole way around w/out stopping. And when I got back to the house, I nearly vommited. And really did vommit after a subsequent run. Well, this started me thinking about the health of my heart and lungs who would start to burn merely at the thought of running-I would wheez, caugh, sputter, gag, shake and feel light headed after .5 miles. So, I said to myself, "self, this is RIDICULOUS. You are a young, active, healthy 25 year old woman. You are at your prime-and THIS is all you can do? Man UP!" So, I am starting out small (1-1.5 miles/night). I know it's not much. My goal is to build up to where I can run at least 5 miles w/out stopping. But for now, I am pleased as punch with my steady progress in the ease of being able to run that one mile. I imagine the fat around my heart melting away as I jog. I have been very dilligent to run it EVERY night. And now, it's becoming a little ritual for me. An emotional release, where I can either talk to myself, sing, think or NOT think. I love it. I am feeling more balanced and confident in myself. I can do hard things. I just keep telling myself that. What do you guys do that you are proud of in your life that makes you feel like you can do hard things?

5 comments:

Laura said...

Very cool. You make me want to start running regularly again. "Want" is the key word. Now we'll see if I DO it. Missy, I am so proud of you. Yes, you CAN do hard things. And I know running is so great, in so many ways. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.

Amy said...

Missy, I know I say this every month, but I really AM so PROUD of you!! Doesn't it feel great in every way to get out there and exercise?! It may not be easy at first, but once you get into a routine then you start to realize you can't afford not to keep doing it. It makes you feel so good! Dave and I always say that exercise is one of those things you never regret.

jake said...

A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to force my body to do something hard. So I went a week only having a glass of vegetable juice for lunch. It was really hard. But I noticed my appetite in general really shrunk. I ate less than Jaz for dinner during that week. I noticed that I had more self-mastery in general. Funny what a little self-discipline in a seemingly trivial area will do.

Keep it up Miss! But watch out for shin splints - I get them with a vengeance every time I try to go running.

Anne Michaelson said...

I am so proud of you Missy, Keep up the good work. Make me go with you (on the walking part anyway). You have been looking very skinny lately you lucky girl.

Summer said...

I am so happy for you! I used to love running. I think exercise is what I am missing in my life right now. What a beautiful addition to your life.